Some samples of my writing and editing — including Q&As, short-form pieces, editorials, investigative pieces, a voting guide and auto reviews. I have experience editing and writing as assistant program manager at the American Press Institute, editor-in-chief at the University Daily Kansan, a teaching assistant for an undergraduate advanced reporting course (two semesters), a graphics reporting intern at the Chicago Tribune, a digital intern at the Lawrence Journal-World and a Pulliam Fellow at the IndyStar.
Writing at the American Press Institute
- Experience writing in-depth content strategy reports for partner news organizations. To do that, we use our proprietary Metrics for News software to track content using blended metrics. We next administer audience surveys that assess respondents’ most profound worries and passions. Then we use findings from the content tagging analysis and survey to help newsrooms identify and improve core coverage areas. We deliver solutions through consultation and written strategy memos for newsroom leaders.
- Going for teens’ inboxes: 6 good questions with the Huffington Post’s director of growth and analytics Kiki Von Glinow (Q&A)
- Supporting news literacy: An update on what API is doing (blog post)
- WAN-IFRA releases first findings from API-supported inquiry on news literacy (blog post)
Occasionally write or edit API’s Need to Know morning newsletter, which curates practical insights and ideas from all over the world of media and tech. Here are a few samples of newsletters I wrote, filling in for the lead writer. Have served as interim lead writer from April 25, 2018-present:
Writing at the University Daily Kansan
- Kutsko: I'm learning to love pink after supporting my mom through her stage 4 breast cancer
- Editorial: Reach out. Be Kind. Starting Now. | The Kansan Editorial Board's response to a student suicide on campus.
Short-form writing at the Chicago Tribune
- Hockey goalkeeper's equipment: the evolution of Rule 11 (timeline)
- On atomic bomb anniversary, Chicago Doomsday Clock points to more danger (Q&A + timeline)
- 30,000 lightning strikes in one night! (story + map)
#IndyBucketList at the Indianapolis Star
I built a connection with IndyStar readers and drove engagement on a personal digital initiative, in which I compiled a reader-generated #IndyBucketList with 20 must-do items that can only happen in the city. As I completed items on the list, I wrote reviews and posted my experiences on social media.
Leading change at the University Daily Kansan
- Four goals for the University Daily Kansan (and how we'll accomplish them) | Medium post
- What we're up to (so far) at the UDK | Medium post
- Reinventing student media: 10 tips from student editors | MediaShift
Editing at the University Daily Kansan
Editorial: University Governance needs to re-evaluate closed door policy -- As editor-in-chief of the Kansan, I oversaw the editorial board. I also edited this editorial, working with the managing editor who wrote it.
Student Senate fights to eliminate KU Athletics Title IX and non-revenue sports fee -- As EIC of the Kansan, I worked with the reporter, news editors and sports editor to ensure that this article (and subsequent articles) were factual, stylistically clean and well-reported.
Voters' Guide -- I served as content editor for this special section. Through my job as student assistant for Professor Pam Fine's advanced reporting class, I worked with the Kansan's news editor and two students from the class. Our goal was to produce utility content, targeted to a student audience, about voting/elections in Kansas.
Editing at The Indianapolis Star
- Autos: Drive smart with family-friendly features -- I edited the copy and did all online production duties (photo gallery, cutlines, headline for desktop/mobile, relevant links) for this auto column, which is a weekly Saturday column online and in print.
Auto review: 2015 200C cures pox, casts glow upon Chrysler -- I edited the copy and did all online production duties for this auto review.
Auto review: Chevy goes banzai with 2014 Sonic -- I edited the copy and did all online production duties for this auto review.
"Lawrence Women" blog at Lawrence Journal-World
As a digital intern, I occasionally wrote posts for LawrenceWomen blog, where I localized national women's issues.